[lug] February talk

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jan 29 01:07:40 MST 2002

Chris Riddoch wrote:

> It sounds like a panel is definitely the way to do this talk.
>
> Looking through the list, we've got several volunteers to talk about
> RPM. Would you like to discuss amongst yourselves and decide who'll
> talk about it? Or should I be arbitrary and just pick one of you?
>
> Despite the fact that I've used Debian for a couple years now, the
> packaging system rather evades me. I could make an attempt at learning
> the system in the next couple weeks so that I'd feel more qualified to
> talk about it, but does anyone feel they know the Debian system well
> enough to be on the panel?
>
> I'm quite sure that most people who could talk about packaging systems
> could also talk about tarballs.
>
> As for other packaging systems, there's also Ximian's Red Carpet, and
> a friend of mine out me to Sorcerer
> (http://www.distrowatch.com/review-sorcerer.php) the other day, which
> has a rather unusual approach- it builds everything from source for
> you as it installs. And then there's alien. Anyone else know of
> different systems?
>
> Someone brought up the idea of looking at the tools from the users',
> developers', and systems administrators' perspectives.  I think we
> should try to hit all three, and we probably can, if we don't spend
> too much time on any specific area.
>
> Tangential to package management are some of the software development
> tools which I've never understood well, mostly for lack of a good
> tutorial - autoconf, automake, libtool, etc. I understand a book has
> been written on the subject, but looking through it, it felt much more
> referency than tutorialy. Anybody want to do a talk on this another
> month?

I'd like to see autoconf and family, or for that matter, the general
topic of configuration management on Linux, as topic. I suspect it would
be difficult to go into any depth on the autoconf and family in one
session, but a general configuration session for administrators and
developers would possibly help end users as well.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com