[lug] [A bit OT] Xerces vs. Gnome XML (libxml)?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Jan 29 08:44:27 MST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:46:20PM +0100, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:49:44PM -0700, Scott A. Herod wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   A bit off topic but does anyone have any opinions about whether
> > they would choose Xerces or libxml ( Gnome project ) for parsing
> > XML and maintaining a DOM structure?  libxml does not have an included
> > DOM parser but apparently there is an add-on available.  I've used
> > Xerces and while bloated and licensed with the Apache license, it is
> > a known evil.

A quick follo-up: you probably allready found this, but just in case
others are interested:

 http://extrememarkup.com/extreme/2001/ExtremeWeb/html/p0014.htm

Gives some information on GDome implementation and compares GDome to Xerces.
BTW, there's no such thing as a DOM parser. DOM is an API (more specific,
the definition of a set of functions operating on a document). GDome provides
a mapping of this API to libxmls 'native' functions (libxml has it's own
idea of a document. If you don't need to be DOMpatible it's a nice and lean
lternative). Oh, and just to add to the confusion: the document model of
XSL(T) - even so designed by the same institution as DOM, is slightly different
from both DOMs and libxmls ....

 Ralf