[lug] Status of installfest planning

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 29 09:02:54 MST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 23:23, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Richard Fifarek <rfifarek at silug.org> writes:
>
> > On 28 Jan 2002, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> >
> > > CDs of distributions.
> >
> > 	I can handle this.  I'm guessing at the very least RedHat, Debian,
> > and SuSE ... any others?
>
> Those would be my choices, with the addition of KRUD, which tummy.com
> will be supplying.  Anyone else?
>
> > How many copies or each?
>
> That's a good question. To those of you out there who've put together
> installfests before, what's a good estimate?

I organized the first three TriLUG (www.trilug.org) installfests and we
used surprisingly few CDs of the various distros.  Three of each is
probably plenty.  And some of us have laptops with CDRs so we can burn
on the spot.  What we often overlooked were things like extra floppies
(some old machines just won't boot off of CDs!), keyboards/mice, NICs,
and spare monitors.

I can bring the following:

 - 5-port switch and a few patch cables,
 - PCI NIC or two
 - spare keyboard and mouse
 - copies of: RH v7.2 and StarOffice v5.2 and 6.0beta
 - large, sturdy plastic cart suitable for carrying heavy monitors
 - laptop w/ 8x CDR for last-minute burns
 - a few blank floppies & CDRs

One other thing to figure out in advance is the ethernet config.  Google
is perhaps the *most* helpful thing at any installfest!  So do we have
some spare static IPs that we can use on the CU network?  If not, can we
use DHCP?  And if we use DHCP do we need to register MAC addresses in
advance?

And yes, advertising helps!  I'd "spam" the relevant CU email lists
and/or newsgroups with the installfest info...

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD