[lug] ppp dial up server with RH7.2

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 30 11:31:33 MST 2002

Hobbs: Nobuki Matsui wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion; I did not doubt the serial port.
> These are my current settings below...
>
> localhost:nobuki {109} sudo setserial -a /dev/modem
> /dev/modem, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test

This looks right, but the trick is that the system view of this serial
port must match in other places. Now take a close look at /proc/pci,
find the modem, compare parameters that are visible/obvious. Also
consider lspci -vvv, look for modem settings as seen by the pci bus (I
am assuming this modem is PCI; if not, perhaps ISA jumpers apply). Also,
if this is PCI, be sure your bios is set to the equivalent of "O/S is
NOT plug-n-play aware". This will cause the bios to do initial setup of
PCI hardware (but linux can still change it). PCI setup will be
consistent across reboots, unless you move cards in their PCI slots.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com