[lug] DNS and init

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Feb 4 13:01:37 MST 2002

Chip Atkinson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Is there a good reason to not put named and some other daemons into
> /etc/inittab?  It seems like a good idea on the surface but I haven't seen
> it done much.  It seems to be a pretty obvious idea so there must be some
> reason for it not being done.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

I can't think of a good technical reason, but I can think of something
philosophical. First consider some of the philosophy of the kernel
itself, where there are some services or abilities that *could* be in
either kernel or user land...for reasons of reliability and modularity,
the kernel folks always choose to put in user land those things that can
be there. I would tend to think that inittab is in a similar situation,
where its goal is to control at the most basic and fundamental way the
runlevels. Not very technical, but you might think about how security
would change, and how failures would alter or break (differently) the
proper changes between runlevels.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com