[lug] How do you make sound work?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Feb 4 19:42:17 MST 2002

Glenn Murray wrote:

> AARGH.  I *have* a SoundBlaster card:
>
> CT4780 SBLive! Value (Multimedia audo controller)

I have a SBLive Value as well. It works great. The big confusion usually
seems to be on two points. First, the emu10k1 driver itself has been a
moving target, most often the cvs version is better than the kernel
supplied version. See:
http://opensource.creative.com

A big note: You have to read the docs on separate emu10k1, usually other
configuration items are related before it will work right. The second
confusion is that often the mixer or routing patches are required to do
special things beyond basic 2-channel, especially if you have digital
speakers instead of analog. (I use analog, so I have no need to deal
with it)

There is a very good email list for emu10k1 list, most answers come
within minutes or hours of posting a question. Often it seems the
questions posted are related to confusion about changing syntax or
features of the mixer or dsp routing patches. Final note, if you compile
the separate cvs emu10k1, and not the kernel supplied version, you
*must* have your kernel source in place, and it *must* be configured to
match your running kernel at the time of compile. But SBLive Value does
work quite well, I can play an MP3 that sounds better than the local
home television sound system (this might not be saying much, the home
system isn't all that great, but the speakers on the computer are nice).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com