[lug] Interest in embedded systems/handhelds coding?

Micah Dowty micahjd at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 5 23:14:01 MST 2002

Well, PicoGUI is very scalable. Just to give you an idea of some of the
extremes of hardware it runs on:

- uCsimm, with 16mhz Dragonball EZ processor. PicoGUI itself runs fine,
but these don't handle anything multimedia-like
- Tuxscreen, with 640x480 8-bit display and fast (100-something mhz)
ARM cpu
- desktop PC? (there has been some thought on using picogui for in-game
UIs)
- VTech helio with 2MB of flash, 8MB of dram
- Agenda VR3 with 16MB of flash

Most new handhelds are actually quite overpowered, so recent hardware
should run games fine.

C++ support is still a bit shaky or nonexistant on several platforms,
hence PicoGUI being written only in C. I know at least a few PicoGUI
apps are being written in C++, and uClibc is just now supporting C++.
Right now the main thing picogui is lacking for good game support is a
way to memory-map a bitmap or the framebuffer.

OpenGL support would be welcomed, and it would run on all the hardware
that supports it and could be turned off at compile time for other
hardware. I have even been thinking about an OpenGL video driver for
PicoGUI that would provide backwards-compatible 2D functions, but have
a hook so that applications and themes can send 3D data. PicoGUI themes
could use 3D buttons :)