[lug] .htaccess weirdness

Greg Horne jeerygh at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:48:08 MST 2002

Hey all!  I used the wrong email address and didn't want to wait for a
moderator, so I'm posting again.  Sorry.

I was contacted today and somebody was trying to log into a website
protected by an .htaccess file.  Here is the weird thing:

Example #1
If you go to http://website/admin
It asks for password, I enter it and I am denied
It asks for password again, I enter it and it lets me in.

BUT

Example #2
If you go to http://website/admin/
It asks for password, I enter it and it lets me in.

BTW, you don't have to try example #1 for #2 to work.  Does anybody have
an idea as to what could be causing this?
I have looked in my httpd.conf and found nothing that would help, is
this maybe a kernel problem?

RedHat 7.0
Kernel 2.2.16-22
Apache 1.3.19