[lug] Opinions on E*Trade dumping Sun for Linux?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Wed Feb 6 20:58:58 MST 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 20:44, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

    Yeah, I believe Oracle just said the same thing.  Sun better get cooking
    on something in this game, or they could be facing hard times.

    Tim

Definitely true. With Linux taking the OS mindshare away from Solaris,
and with .Net taking software development mindshare away from Java, it's
starting to look like Sun's standing all wet without a towel.

I'm curious if anyone in this group has played with .Net, either via
Microsoft or via the Mono project?  I love Java and have used it
exclusively for the last three years, but the .Net CLI architecture is
admittedly compelling.

Personally I don't have a problem with using it if it's capabilities or
promise of productivity are more advanced than Java (which they may be).
After all, I've been building Java systems for three years now, on
Linux, and not a penny has gone to Sun as a result of any of my work (or
it's use by my clients). I expect that Mono will play out the same way
with respect to Microsoft - yes, Microsoft invented it, but through
Mono, .Net/CLI applications can be built and deployed in a way which
wholly deprives Microsoft of any lockin or licensing fees.

Any other experiences or thoughts?

Bryan