[lug] .Net, Mono, multiple languages and patents....

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Feb 6 22:39:04 MST 2002

This article and discussion has lots of both technical and
lack-of-freedom-related notions on .NET.  A great read.

 De Icaza Responds on Mono and GNOME

See also the Front Range Unix User's Group presentation by
Tom Cargill from a month ago on the .NET Virtual Machine:
    http://fruug.org/Archive/2002-01/slides.pdf

One important issue is whether Mono will run into patent
problems after years of investment like Samba has.
I suspect so....

Some tidbits from the /. discussion:

Alan Cox Says It Best
by Gryphon on 02-02-06 12:08 (Score:5, Interesting) (#2962648)
(User #28880 Info) [ Neutral ]

Miguel:
> or ourselves. I want to be as compatible as
> possible with the APIs that were published by
> Microsoft.

Alan:
Be assured that the day they decide you are a nuisance the VM will
acquire a patented neat feature that kills you off. Just ask the Samba
people.

(from Alan's reply to Miguel's message)

------------

Microsoft has and will enforce .Net patents
by Anonymous Coward on 02-02-06 13:17 (Score:2) (#2963192)

From Craig Mundie, VP of Microsoft at the O'Reilly Shared Source
vs. Open Source Panel Discussion
(http://linux.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/linux/2001/08/0 9/oscon_panel.html
[oreillynet.com])

Craig: "But look: we're a business, okay? We're in the business of
licensing intellectual property. So if it turns out that in the
future that business says, "Okay, we should license the patents to
people who use that in order to be compensated for the development of
intellectual property," maybe we'll do that. You're always welcome to
come and ask us to license anything from sources to patents. But I
mean, we are a business. We're not --

Craig: Well, at the end of the day, if you have a patent, you enforce
the patent if it's valuable to you. And so I think that Microsoft and
other people who have patents will ultimately decide to enforce those
patents.

Brian: Are there any patents that apply or that will apply to
implementers of .Net or Hailstorm?

Craig: I expect there certainly will be. I mean, the patent process
takes a long time.