[lug] Exchange Alternative

Kyle Moore kmoore at mooreimages.com
Thu Feb 7 08:59:59 MST 2002

Last month I inherited an Exchange server. Nothing like getting a gift
that you can't take back. I currently am running a Postfix server here
for all of the outgoing mail from our Unix boxes. Now I have this too.

The problem is the business types insist on group scheduling from
Outlook. Are there any solutions that give me the mail and scheduling
from within Outlook? If not, do you know of any really good web-based
group scheduling software that you would feel comfortable pitching to
the executives of a financial company? I would really like to get rid of
the admin headaches and costs of Exchange.

What I have found so far is Domino with iNotes for Outlook and possibly
Mirapoint. I still have to talk to the Mirapoint rep. An open-source
solution would be best but I am primarily looking for something that
will run on Unix, that will scale and that is rock solid. As my CIO says
"It should be like an anvil...it just works.".

Thanks

--
Kyle