[lug] Opinions on E*Trade dumping Sun for Linux?

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Fri Feb 8 09:04:05 MST 2002

Actually, that's exactly Microsoft's motive. They want to distract the
developers. They want your mind share (or, more importantly, they don't want
Sun to have it), and they want to knock Sun off balance. They (Sun) don't
have the resources to follow Microsoft's every lead, even if (in this
instance) it promises a cross-platform product. However, Microsoft does have
the resources to hedge its bets by continuing to develop .NET and Java.
Trust me, Microsoft is not in it to make the developer's life easy. They are
only in it for market share -- your needs are always secondary.

Do you really think that .NET is innovative??? It's not. Jython is a great
example of the JVM's ability to host multiple languages, which, from what I
can tell, is the only "innovation" in .NET. They are only trying to make Sun
pay for pissing them off by taking them to court (and winning) over
Microsoft's attempt to embrace and extend (E&E) Java.

It does not matter that the .NET platform is submitted to a standards body.
Or that others can fork the development. Microsoft's implementation will
always be the de facto standard, even when they add proprietary extensions.
You get Microsoft to agree to be contractually bound by to the spec and you
may have a chance. Microsoft may promise this, but try to get them to
guarantee it. It won't happen. That's dirty trick #2 (after FUD) in their
play book. Yes, they even use E&E against their own standards!

With all that said, I actually believe that Linux will have a working &
certified .NET implementation far faster than it got a proper Java
implementation.

-Rob