[lug] dot-Net & Java (was: Opinions on E*Trade dumping Sun for Linux?)

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Fri Feb 8 09:55:22 MST 2002

Looks like I stirred up something here!

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 09:24, rm at fabula.de wrote:

    True, but the CLI specs are only a small part of the "plot".
    And, given the fact that probably the majority of .Net programmers will
    be MS followers, where would forking away from Microsoft leave Mono? In
    the proprietary niche section. The main, if not only, reason for Java and
    .Net _is_ the unified code base you gain (even if it's only on paper. My
    scheme programs run on _far_ more platforms then my java code).

---

A forking away from Microsoft would leave Mono just fine, according to
Miguel de Icaza -- he's already gotten what he wants out of .Net, which
is a language-independent way of building tightly bound components (in a
way which presumably is cleaner and easier than CORBA which is the land
where he and GNOME had been living).