[lug] Fallacies of Computing, was re: dot-Net & Java

Bernard Johnston berjoh at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 9 18:21:14 MST 2002

Tom> I think there's something else going on here.  Partly it is that
Tom> people want to believe that the platform makes a big difference in
Tom> programmer productivity.  This is substantially less true than many
Tom> people seem to believe.

There are a lot of mythologies about software out there. I thought the speech
whose notes are in this link was particularly apt.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-February/msg00072.html

Included among the "fallacies" mentioned are:
Computing is Easy
Computers Allow People to Do things They Could Not Do Otherwise
Computers Increase Productivity
Programs Help Their Users
If It's Graphical, It's Easy
Programming is About Date Structures and Algorithms
The Industry Knows Where it is Going