[lug] making ping not respond

Brad Doctor bdoctor at localhost.localdomain
Sat Feb 9 10:01:27 MST 2002

This will do it:

   if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all ]; then
           echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
   fi

  # Ignore any broadcast icmp echo requests
  #
   if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts ]; then
           echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
   fi

  # Don't accept ICMP redirects
  #
   if [ -e /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_redirects ]; then
           echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/accept_redirects
   fi

However, it will disable ICMP for all interfaces...

-brad

> I thought I my ipchains ruleset was set up to make my box not respond
> to external pings, but it does anyway.
>
> I'm still trying to figure out how this is done.  Am I totally
> confused, or can ipchains do this?  TIA.

Brad Doctor, CISSP