[lug] off topic, spam laws

Zichary O`Tea zirotea at cyberspace.org
Mon Feb 11 00:12:23 MST 2002

Its one thing if you don't like spam.. Thats fine, go to one of the dozen
sites available that suggests domains to block, or whatever else, and join
in the party.

Its kind of another when you suggest all this totalitarian intervention.

Maybe I would support the government giving a little funding to educate
people about filters..  like all hard core nancy reagan style....

Have lots of "hip" looking kids dancing around to a song where the
chorus is "You have a right to use filters!"  Then in elementary
schools there could be a similar program to D.A.R.E. where NSA
people would come in to classes toteing little workbooks with evil
looking drawings of kids who spam people on the internet.  The evil spam
kids would have blood shot eyes, and walk around like zombies, and wear
tye-dye and/or metallica t-shirts.  And they would approach nice looking
kids with short conservative hair-cuts, and turtle necks and say "Hey, I
have a program that lets you spam people.  Its even under the GPL, do you
want me to e-mail it to you?"  And the the well dressed young man would
respond in a "assertive" manner and say "No, spamming is wrong. And its
my duty as a loyal net-itizen, to report you to the spam stoppers
network."

Or, maybe there could be an anti-spam political party, and they could
try to run a president on a "War on Spam" platform.  Then, we could have
John Ashcroft order raids on anyone's house or business who sends e-mail,
and detain them for questioning because they might have connections
to subversive "Spam Organizations."