[lug] off topic, spam laws

Richard Fifarek rfifarek at silug.org
Mon Feb 11 09:49:41 MST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> I thought that putting quotes on the word "our" would convey my meaning.  I
> mean our in the larger sense of consumers.  Clearly, someone is trying to
> Make $$$$$$ fast, or even the dumbest of spammers would stop sending the
> damned messages.

	To further footstomp this, the reason that spam has gotten worse
and not better is because it WORKS.  The return on investment (to use a
business term) is much larger than most (if not all) marketing methods.

	I see education as the best means of reducing spam.  Educating the
public to not be swayed by spam, and educating sys admins to not provide
open relays.

	     Richard H. Fifarek	       		rfifarek at silug.org