[lug] off topic, spam laws

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Mon Feb 11 11:38:14 MST 2002

No... really, part of the answer must be in new laws. Libertarian ideals
will only get you so far. Laws are nothing but customs written down, with
penalties for failing to follow them. You right to real property is a
custom. There are penalties for failing to abide by the customs of real
property. (i.e. It's mine. You can't use it unless I explicitly allow it. I
can [have you put in jail|shoot you] for violating my property rights. Etc.)

People won't be encouraged to abide by the common customs of the internet
unless they face penalties. Those penalties can be imposed by "the public"
(being shunned, blacklisted, RBL'd, etc.) or they can be imposed by the
people via the government via laws and threats of criminal prosecution,
fines and jail time.

Both are needed to effectively combat spam.

-Rob