[lug] DVD Ripping

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Feb 11 17:51:46 MST 2002

Just FYI,
As far as supported hardware goes - Mac G4 and OS 9.1 seems to be the
best supported platform.  They at least have commercial software that
allows you to do video processing, MPEG (1 and 2) encoding, DVD burning,
...  We purchased a Mac G4 solely for video editing and processing
purposes late last year.  All other options (plug in boards for PC...)
were way more expensive and less capable than the G4.  So OS9.1, daily
reboots, and AppleTalk were in order to get the job done.  Our video
source is MiniDV format (videos from laboratory testing).

Ferdinand

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:54:05PM -0700, Fred Robinson wrote:
> >Does anyone have any information about DVD Ripping?  Perhaps a URL to
> >information on the subject?
>
> The information I have is that it's largely illegal...  Sad but true...  I
> researched it some time ago, I actually wanted to spool our commercial
> video tapes off to hard drive, to free up storage space in the living-room.
> My reading of the copyright law, particularly with relation to Fair Use,
> and the DMCA, didn't give me much hope...
>
> That said, from what I've heard, the support for doing such things is much
> better under Windows than under Linux, as of maybe 3 months ago when I last
> spoke with a friend in Australia who was doing it.
>
> The most unfortunate thing is that we just got a new copy of some insurance
> policies and they explicitly state that they will not pay for any sort of
> data loss, then go on to define it in such a way as to sound like if our
> books, music CDs, VHS or DVDs go up in a fire, the only thing they'd pay
> for is replacing them with blank paper, CD, or DVD media.  Combined with
> the copyright and DMCA laws, and the RIAA/MPAA trying to sue anyone who
> makes code capable of copying (is "dd" next?), we can't back back them up
> either.
>
> Sad times...
>
> Sean
> --
>  Use more honey!  Find out what she knows.
>                  -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_
> Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo at tummy.com>
> tummy.com - Linux Consulting since 1995. Qmail, KRUD, Firewalls, Python

Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation
Celebrating 20 Years of Improving Building Energy Performance
http://www.archenergy.com