[lug] making ping not respond

dan radom dan at radom.org
Tue Feb 12 08:21:39 MST 2002

I block all incoming ICMP, and haven't had *any* problems with my network.  There are several ICMP datagram types, and blocking new incoming echo requests shouldn't cause problems.  The datagram types are listed below...Another thing I might mention is that the maximum MTU with PPPoX is 1492.

dan

ICMP datagram types
Type Number 	iptables mnemonic 		Type description
0		echo-reply 			Echo Reply
3 		destination-unreachable 	Destination Unreachable
4 		source-quench 			Source Quench
5 		redirect 			Redirect
8 		echo-request 			Echo Request
11 		time-exceeded 			Time Exceeded
12 		parameter-problem 		Parameter Problem
13 		timestamp-request 		Timestamp request
14 		timestamp-reply 		Timestamp reply
15 		none 				Information Request
16		none 				Information Reply
17 		address-mask-request 		Address Mask Request
18 		address-mask-reply 		Address Mask Reply