[lug] Re: ftp problem

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Feb 12 14:30:24 MST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:06:06PM -0500, John Karns wrote:
>This ftp server will require the ability to do a reverse-DNS lookup to see
>where you are connecting from. If you get refused a connection because of
>this then I cannot help you, the problem is at your end, contact your ISP.

That may indeed be the case, and ideally you should have a reverse DNS
entry for your machine (in particular, IRC servers tend to be pretty pissy
if they can't do a reverse lookup).  However, I don't understand why somone
would set up an FTP server to require this...  In fact, I don't really
understand why *ANYONE* relies on reverse information.  Personally, I think
the whole paranoid reverse/forward lookup like done with tcpwrappers is
silly...

I can understand why you would do it if you rely on the reverse name for
authentication, but I don't think that's a strong method of authentication
anyway...

Sean
--
 "We just wanted to give the band a little more thrust than most other bands."
         - Donald Fagen's reply to why they chose the name 'Steely Dan'