[lug] RH and libpcap

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Wed Feb 13 16:27:47 MST 2002

D. Stimits wrote:
> Does anyone here have any idea why Redhat does not seem to have their
> own rpm package for libpcap and libpcap devel? As I recall, last time I
> did anything with it I had to get a Mandrake source rpm and rebuild.
> Redhat seems to resist libpcap (which is needed for a number of network
> analysis tools).

Red Hat 7.2 does have a libpcap:

$ rpm -qi libpcap
Name        : libpcap                      Relocations: /usr
Version     : 0.6.2                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 9                             Build Date: Fri Aug 31
07:33:52 2001
Install date: Sun Feb  3 09:20:40 2002      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM:
tcpdump-3.6.2-9.src.rpm
Size        : 909772                           License: BSD
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A system-independent interface for user-level packet capture.
Description :
Libpcap provides a portable framework for low-level network
monitoring. Libpcap can provide network statistics collection,
security monitoring and network debugging. Since almost every system
vendor provides a different interface for packet capture, the libpcap
authors created this system-independent API to ease in porting and to
alleviate the need for several system-dependent packet capture modules
in each application.

Install libpcap if you need to do low-level network traffic monitoring
on your network.

There is no libpcap-devel; the header files and such are included in
libpcap.

Warning, the pcap included in earlier releases, including 7.1, was
seriously broken.  But the 7.2 one seems to work.