[lug] February 14, 2002 - Boulder Linux User Group Meeting

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Feb 14 05:23:03 MST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:42:55PM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> * On 2002-02-14 04:28 D. Stimits <stimits at idcomm.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious, what kind of auditing? Checks for buffer overflow
> > vulnerabilities? Something like lint?
>
> It's pretty rough, but interesting.. You'll have to come to the
> meeting to find out :)

I wish i could ;-) I (ab)use RATS to ease following the API changes
in Guile. I just have a database of all changes and have RATS scan
my code to warn me if i use deprecated API calls.
It's a pretty nice tool for what it's intended to do but in the
long term i'd rather see the scanning part being handed over to
the compiler. After all: why write your own tokenizer/scanner if
the compiler needs to do it anyway (and the compiler can do all
sorts of things (flow analysis etc.) an external tool can't).

  Ralf