[lug] CVS? Syncing repositories?

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Fri Feb 15 17:38:13 MST 2002

On Friday 15 February 2002 04:41 pm, Scott A. Herod wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Does CVS support a method to sync two repositories?  I suppose it
> would
> be reasonably easy to update from one and commit to the other but that
> seems
> too prone to merge errors to be easily automated.

The consensus seems to be "no."

Can you tell us why you need two separate repositories for the same codebase?
 Maybe we can come up with a resolution to that situation . . .

Off the top of my head, it might resolve all of your problems if you get rid
of the "second" repository, then have the second server serve the  "main"
one, accessing it via NFS over SSH.  This is based on the guess that it is an
issue like "half the developers are on one side of a firewall and the other
half are on the other."

(BTW, the idea above may be nonsensical.  I'm no CVS expert, but AFAIK the
"magic" happens on the filesystem, not in a daemon.)

Depends on what your problem really is, though.

-Peter