[lug] Re-direction...

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Sun Feb 17 00:24:07 MST 2002

On Saturday 16 February 2002 07:10 pm, Mike Caskey wrote:
> Hi all!  My ska band NEEDS a new website hosting solution.  The volume is
> low and the uptime is not highest of priorities.  It's currently being
> hosted on a free service, which is annoying for all kinds of reasons.
> First, the address is theaccidents.8m.com.  We want theaccidents.info.
> Second, there are random banner advertisements.  We don't want banners
> unless they correspond to our image.  Depending on cost, we would also like
> to have a nifty e-mail account (like guitarist at theaccidents.info).  Since
> we're a fairly new band, cost is an issue.  The cheapest idea we had was to
> use name hosting re-directed to my attbi personal web page.  That wouldn't
> give us a cool e-mail account though.  Does anyone have suggestions on how
> to get this done inexpensively?  Maybe someone knows a cheap way to get
> this (name / site) (registered / hosted)?  "Any pointers are gladly
> accepted!" -HAL 8999.99

I'm assuming that the cost of the domain reg is a given.  Don't see any
getting around that.

I use phpwebhosting.com  $10/mo.  Credit card billed monthly or pay six
months up front by check.

All the email addresses you want, with POP and SMTP (if your ISP lets it
through).  SSH/SCP access.  Web mail admin (adding accts and aliases).  And,
of course, PHP.

I've had no problems.  Everything seems to be "unlimited, but don't be
greedy." which can be nice, but then can bite you too.  Don't plan on serving
up tons of MP3s.  They start paying attention if you use >5GB/mo.

Good Luck,
Peter