[lug] Networking Pointers

Ken Weinert mc at morat.net
Sun Feb 17 09:50:40 MST 2002

Ok all, I'm looking for some pointers for starting a home network.

The situation is this: due to space consolidation at work I've managed to
acquire 5 SparcClassics, a Sparcstation2, and a 10M hub.

What I'd like to do is this:

Install SuSE 7.3/space on all
4 classics - cluster them
1 classic - firewall
sparc2 - development for the other classics since they have such small hard
drives (450M)

The install part I've got sorted :)  Turns out one difficulty I was having
was OHS - what I thought was a network card was a video card *sigh*

At any rate, here's a base plan:

cluster[1-4] == 172.16.42.[10,20,30,40]
towel == dhcp/172.16.42.42
builder == 172.16.42.100
ken 172.16.42.101 <- my intel linux box
beth 172.16.42.102 <- daughter's windows box

The hub is a 3Com FMSII LinkBuilder, so it's strictly a (12 port/10M) hub.

As far as I can tell this is a valid addressing scheme for an internal
network and this means that towel will be the firewall machine and have to do
NAT and DNS, right?

The second question is this: can anyone recommend a good Linux networking
book that I can use my recently acquired SoftPro gift certificate on?

Thanks for any pointers - and after studying, I may have a few more questions
later :)

Ken Weinert   mc at morat.net
GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in
eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star
in our hand and melting like a snowflake. --Marie Beyon Ray