[lug] LaTeX to Word Doc/RTF

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Mon Feb 18 14:38:44 MST 2002

* On 2002-02-18 21:33 Dhruva B. Reddy <sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know better than to expect recruiters to know what to do with a
> .tex file.  What I had hoped to do is send out a pdf version.

What you hoped to do was to get a job. Part of this is to make it
as easy as possible for someone to hire you. This includes making
it easy for them to put your resume into their database, so your
keywords come up in their searches. Thus, Word.

A pretty version of your resume is used only at a face-to-face
interview. Getting to the face-to-face interview is more a matter of
coming up in the right database query.

And, unless you are applying for a job as a graphic designer, a totally
slick resume isn't going to impress anyone, though a badly formatted
one would turn them off (plain text, properly indented does not count
as badly formatted; 4 pages for your fifth job or spelling and punctuation
mistakes does count as badly formatted.)

efm at tummy.com               Senior System and Network Adminstrators
                            http://www.tummy.com/