[lug] LaTeX to Word Doc/RTF

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Feb 18 14:45:15 MST 2002

Thus spoke Dhruva B. Reddy
> Has anyone had success doing something like this?  Also, to those of you
> who have recently looked (or are currently looking), what has been your
> experience with resume formats?

I have yet to submit in Word format, and I've been looking since last
October (not to mention I can't remember *ever* having to submit in Word
format in 10 years).  Most of the online systems (HotJobs, Dice, Monster) can
take ordinary text documents or allow you to provide a resume through their
form-based systems.  Companies like HP, Sun and IBM can take resumes via
their online job boards using ordinary text or using their form-based
submission systems.  None of the places I've looked - online job boards,
companies job boards or recruiters posting on Usenet - have required Word
formatted resumes.  Then again, I only look for R&D environments, not IT or
less technical arenas.  That could be the reason.

Any recruiter who requires Word docs is probably limiting your options, IMHO.

> I guess if worse comes to worst, I could convert my resume to HTML, but
> I would lose a lot of formatting.

I put mine in StarOffice 5.2 so I could export to RTF, ASCII text and HTML
pretty easily.  LaTex is nice, but StarOffice is simpler at this point.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com