[lug] At last! A graphical debugger.

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Wed Feb 20 09:23:13 MST 2002

Yes, in fact I've used Insight rather regularly.  Version is:

[herod at torries bin]$ ./gdb --version
GNU gdb 5.0

Rob Savoye pointed it out to me a couple of years ago.

The reasons that I now prefer DDD include; motif ( makes it peppier ),
mouse-over a variable can show its value, it has a graphical method of
displaying watch variables, displaying classes in tables with arrows
linking to other structures, and graphical display of arrays.

In fact, it really does look a lot like SGI's Casevision Workshop, a
tool which I used to live on.

Now if I could just find a reliable memory-checking tool ( I don't
trust dmalloc and don't think it works with "new" anyway ).

On a related note, I wonder how hard it would be to make some of the
display tools work with jdb.  I know you work on gcj, Tom, have you
done anything with Insight in that direction?

Scott