[lug] Compiling strangeness

Keith C. Herold Herold at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 20 11:56:56 MST 2002

Howdy! I have an RH 7.1 machine that I using to work on a network
assingment.  The professor supplied a library that drops packets randomly,
but when I linked against it, no packets were dropped at all (with correct
arguments, etc.).  Later, I was using sendto and recvfrom to handle some UDP
packets (same homework), into separate, statically declared structs (which
had only statically declared members), and they were being overwritten by
each other.  I switched machines to another 7.1 box, and the same problems
occurred.  I switched to yet another machine (7.1), and everything worked
correctly.

All three machines are using the same build of GCC (2.96 20000731).

I am now concerned.  The problem is that I need gcc to build gcc, and I
don't know how to check whether it's the libraries, gcc, the linker or
whatever that is causing the problems, and I need my machine to work
correctly for other, more important projects.  Any suggestions?

--Keith