[lug] M$ and their media player

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 21 09:47:59 MST 2002

The "log" file maintained by Windows Media Player is the equivalent of
our ~/.cddb/ which is used by just about every UNIX cd player app that
I have used.  It's not such a big deal in my view.  Just caching.  In
UNIX and modern MS OSes, this can be protected with file ACLs.

As for the ID transmitted to the server, I doubt that they can reliably
correlate this with your personal information.  As far as I'm aware,
unless you are being billed by MS, most people are not compelled to
even supply Microsoft with a real name, address, telephone, or any such
personal data to use the vast majority of their services and OS features.

-John

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |