[lug] Checking hard drive for errors?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Feb 23 12:08:14 MST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 04:53:15PM -0700, Robert George Mayer wrote:
>I am looking into a problem where the password file on a laptop has been
>corrupted twice.  I am trying to rule out a problem with the hard drive.
>Does anyone know of software to do nodestructive testing of the medium
>itself, checking for bad blocks?

The program is called "badblocks".  The newer versions have a
"non-destructive read/write test".  Check out the man page for the options.
You'll probably not want to run it while your system is booted from that
drive, though.  Boot from rescue media.

Sean
--
 Well I've been to one world fair, a picnic and a rodeo, and that's the
 stupidest thing I've heard come over a pair of earphones.  -- Major Kong