[lug] SCSI disk info

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Wed Feb 27 07:01:45 MST 2002

Ken Weinert wrote:

> 	I'm installing SuSE 7.3 on a Sparcstation 2 and so far that is working OK -
> what I'm trying to do is to add another HD that is somewhat larger than the
> old 450M drive in it now.
>
> 	I'm running into a problem tho:
>
> sdb : unsupported sector size 520.
> scsi : deleting disk entry.
>
> 	So my question is this: what method can I use to "reformat" (?) the disk to
> a supported number of sectors? I suspect this will have to be some method
> other than booting into the SCSI controller :)

I don't think it's the size of the disk, but the fact that it seems to be
formatted with 520 byte blocks instead of the usual 512 byte blocks.  This
is a pain to fix.  You basically have to know what SCSI commands to issue to
the disk, and then issue them through a passthrough interface.  I think
Linux supports passthrough commands in some form.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh