[lug] 802.11b wireless

sanders sanders at montanalinux.org
Thu Feb 28 14:18:13 MST 2002

J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> I'm setting up for a conference and there are hard wired ethernet
> connections in the conference room connected to a dhcd server.  I've also
> got an 802.11b pcmcia wireless card available.  I'm thinking that it
> should be possible to hook this card into the network in order to create a
> wireless segment for my meeting.  I'm just not too certain what I need to
> do to pull this off?
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)
>
>    --------------------------------------------------------
>                         ISART 2002
>     International Symposium on Advanced Radio Technologies
>       http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/index.html

I have just set up a cobination similar to this.  Another item needed is
your access point to bring you into the network.  If your needing others
to look at your system, it'd be possible to do a peer-to-peer without
needing an access point unit.  If you have your NIC plugged into their
network you could also be the access point for other wireless too.  To
do peer to peer they should all be set to "adhoc".

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org