[lug] Did i miss something?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 28 14:55:45 MST 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:21:12PM +0100, rm at fabula.de wrote:
>Anyway, i recall that a german company i happen to know tried
>to distribute netwinders over here but the prices rebel wanted
>where ridiculously high. Nice product but way too expensive.

That they were...  I remember when they were initially promoting them at
Linux Expo ('97?)...  They knew they needed to make them cheap, but they
were talking about adding a hard drive (the original configuration had no
hard drive) and cutting the price.  I kept wondering how they could add a
$300 hard drive while at the same time cutting the price by nearly that
much...

In the end they were selling them for nearly $400 over the price they were
selling the discless ones for...

They were pretty proud of those guys...  We tried to get one to do a review
of, and to show off at all the local LUG meetings (like we'd done in the
past for the Cobalt cube), but they weren't at all interested in having us
promote it.  Oh well.

Sean
--
 "The phrase ``ship it!'' is one with long and deep resonances in my
 benighted and antiquated big-software-dept career." -- John Shipman, 1998