[lug] Linux and Microsoft .NET

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Thu Feb 28 17:20:57 MST 2002

On Thursday 28 February 2002 04:55 pm, Record, James N wrote:
> I attended the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET show yesterday in downtown
> Denver. My take on
> it was that Microsoft has developed a tool (VS .NET) and an architecture
> (.NET)
> to provide fast building of distributed applications using .NET services.
>
> The .NET architect also mentioned at the show that he had a .NET service
> running
> on a FreeBSD system in his office.
>
> Is there an open software effort to provide for building .NET services that
> are hosted
> on a Linux system?

You must not read Slashdot.

Miguel de Icaza of GNOME/Mono fame is working on creating a .NET platform
from GNOME, which should work on all GNOME supported UNIXes and UNIX variants.

He's really been taking it in the shorts over it, too.

See http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23919.html and/or search Slashdot
(under "older stuff") for, say, ".NET Miguel" or for even more fun ".NET
Miguel RMS".

-Peter