[lug] 802.11b wireless

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Mar 1 05:53:22 MST 2002

> We'll I found an Orinoco WP-II access point here in the labs that I can
> use.  Of course this is all contingent on me figuring out how to set it
> up.  That is much less certain between now and Monday's conference.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Hey Wayde,

Another thought... you might check with your security guys about whether
or not they find un-announced access point addition to the network a
"Good Thing(TM)".  Many folks are realizing that with the right tools,
someone outside the conference room can snoop traffic, break WEP keys,
yadda yadda yadda.

If there's windows in the conference room, or you're on an outside
wall... someone can do the same stuff from the parking lot.  At least
that's the theory anyway... whether or not anyone's really that bored is
up to you to decide, and how important will the data be flowing on the
wireless.

VPN client's recommended for access to e-mail, or fileservers or logging
into things -- or SSH... GRIN.  No matter how you cut it, wireless isn't
secure and never will be...

Nate, nate at natetech.com