[lug] Snmp ifspeed value invalid.

Sexton, George gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Mar 1 15:06:27 MST 2002

Add a line to your snmp.conf file:

#		ifName Type	Speed
interface	eth0	 6	100000000

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-admin at lug.boulder.co.us [mailto:lug-admin at lug.boulder.co.us]On
Behalf Of Harris, James
Sent: 01 March, 2002 3:00 PM
To: Boulder Linux Users Group (lug at lug.boulder.co.us)
Subject: [lug] Snmp ifspeed value invalid.

I noticed recently that most of my Linux machines are showing the wrong
interface speed in SNMP.  I've spend most of the day searching Google Groups
and there are a few questions along these lines, but no one seems to be able
to confirm the problem.  Has anyone else run into this?  I can confirm on
the switch end and on Linux that my interfaces are really running at 100Mb,
but SNMP reports them at 10Mb.  I've updated my SNMP packages to the latest
versions and no help.  I gather from what I've seen on comp.protocols.snmp
that this is a potentially buggy ethernet driver?

Thanks!

[harrija at munch]$ snmpwalk localhost <comstring> .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth0
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.2 = ethernetCsmacd(6)
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifMtu.2 = 1500
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifSpeed.2 = Gauge32: 10000000

[harrija at munch]$ sudo /sbin/mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok