[lug] new hard drive

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Wed Mar 6 00:06:33 MST 2002

I got a new hard drive and threw it on my system, in the course of doing
that I go to poking around on the old configuration.

On my hda (a disk that is dual-booting linux and windows) I have a
Hidden Win95 FAT 32 partition that is 2gig.  Originally, this machine
came with windows on it.  I reformatted it, gave linux the lion share of
the drive and off I went.  The problem is I don't remember creating that
partition (though I may have).  What is it usually for and is there
anyway that I can find out what is on it?  Can I just reclaim it for
linux or would windows break (not that I mind terribly, but it would
take a few hours to reinstall windows which I'd prefer not to do)?

Also, on the new drive I gave windows a 10gig slice of it for as the
game partition.  I used fdisk under linux to create a Win95 FAT32
partition and then I formatted it under windows.  Now when I try and
mount it as -t vfat, I get

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb5,
       or too many mounted file systems

Does the vfat type only support up to a certain size partition?

Also, in creating the other partition on this drive ~60gig, I got the
standard 5% for root.  That's ~3gig that goes unused.  Is there any
reason not to lower that amount?  How much space is really needed for
that "just in case you fill up your partition" chunk that gets allotted?

Hugh