[lug] Is Mandrake free download still available?

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Wed Mar 6 17:12:41 MST 2002

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 10:43 pm, qqq1one at yahoo.com wrote:
> It seems that mandrake-linux.com now makes you register and pay a
> monthly fee for access to mandrake-linux downloads.  There doesn't seem
> to be a way to download anything (including GPL source code) from them
> without paying.  Aren't they violating the GPL by doing this?

(Please note that I wrote this as if I were addressing the person above, but
I mean it as general discussion.  I just found it easier to write it this
way.)

Please, PLEASE read the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html).  It is
very accessable, and that way you'll seem smarter when you talk about it.

Anyway, this particular misconception is cleared up in section 3.

Some points on this:

   1. You needn't agree to the GPL to use a program "covered by" the GPL.  A
better way to put this (you may have seen it) is "distributed under the terms
of the GPL."  It does not set ANY terms on the use of the software.
   2. You aren't required to distribute source or binaries to ANYONE.
   3. IF you choose to distribute binaries you must EITHER
      a. Provide the source with the binary
      b. Include with the binary an offer to provide the source at or below
cost (i.e. $2 for a CDR + $2 shipping or something)
      c. If you are distributing the binaries non-commercially you may simply
forward the offer of type "b" that came with it when you got it.

Bottom line, Mandrake, at a maximum, owes you source, at cost, IF they sold
you (or allowed you to download) their binary distro.  They don't owe the
world unlimited FTP access just because they distribute GPL software.

OTOH, be aware that if you pay for one month and suck down all their GPL
stuff (binary and source) you may mirror it in perpetuity, royalty free.

I wish you would.  But you might get tired of paying the bill for the
bandwidth.

You may also be interested in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
which states:

   Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as
   much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.

RMS, is in fact, not a Communist.  I hope you don't find this disappointing.

-Peter