[lug] vfat case sensitivity

Michael Deck deckm at huey.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 7 09:39:38 MST 2002

I'm having a problem with case-sensitive file/directory names on RH7.2. I
have a volume that I mount as vfat because it is shared by the other OS
co-habitating on this machine. My /etc/fstab is

   LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
   LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
   /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
   none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
   none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
   /dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
   /dev/hda5               /opt                    vfat
noauto,owner,uid=500,gid=100,posix,nonumtail    1 1
   /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Now, if I mount this volume

   mount /opt

and then try to create a directory

   mkdir /opt/ABC

what I get from ls is

   /opt/abc

But if I

   mkdir /opt/ABCd

then I get

   /opt/ABCd

as expected. I don't already have an ABC or abc directory in /opt.

Is there another mount option or something I can do to force RH to preserve
case even when the directory name is all upper case?

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.