[lug] simple bash Q.

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Mar 9 18:48:59 MST 2002

> Perfect!
>
> Perhaps this is a tough one to answer, but I am curious if the daemon
> bash function is useable on most distros? Could I use the same function
> (or some obvious corollary) on SuSE, Mandrake, or Debian? Is anyone here
> familiar with the init script functions for those distros? I'm trying to
> refine a script, and possibly make a version for other distributions,
> though I only have RH to test on. The obvious difference is that install
> locations and paths would change, I'm more interested in init script
> function differences.

Debian has the application start-stop-daemon which is used in
quite a few of its init.d scripts.  Not all deamons are started
using it.  It does have the -c|--chuid switch to change to another
user before starting the dameon.

man start-stop-daemon on any Debian system should provide all the
info you need.

enjoy,

-jeremy