[lug] Rejecting email

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Sat Mar 9 21:29:06 MST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:00:15AM -0700, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> On Saturday 09 March 2002 08:13 pm, David Morris wrote:
> > Anyone know how (if?) email can be rejected in a .procmailrc file such that
> > the originating host gets a response back that says the user does not
> > exist?
>
> You can't /exactly/ do this, since to do that properly the MTA would have to
> give an error when the sending system says "rcpt to:".  That's the only
> chance you have for getting off of spam lists by rejection, since SPAMmers
> use bogus Errors-To headers.
>
> All that said, there is a recipe for sending rejection notices at
> http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/mail/procmail.html#label5 (BTW, it took me like 15
> seconds to find that on google).

Ok, ok, just go ahead and shoot me now....I deserve it.  My only possible
excuse is that after working on a sparc system over a 9600 bps serial line
from a 21.6 bps modem connection (and routed through 3 ssh connections) has
made my mind about as sluggish as the response from the computer I am
working on.

That said, thanks....basically what I wanted to confirm (no *real* way to
do it, but a sort-of way to do it in procmail).  That tip looks to be
precisely what I wanted (in spite of my garbled groo-quality-slow-of-mind
request).

--David