[lug] How to tell if an app is running/port is in use?

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Mon Mar 11 09:08:48 MST 2002

Hi,

I'm writing an System V init script for an app which doesn't have one.

For the "status" case, I want to tell if the application is running.

This is a little hard since the application doesn't appear to make any lock
files, and is all in Java, so the ps always shows "java" as the process name.

Another option would be to look and see if the app had it's ports open (it's
a server which waits for clients to connect).

What's the best way to do that?

	Thanks!

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh