[lug] And now zlib...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Mar 11 16:54:19 MST 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Redhat is suggesting that everyone upgrade zlib plus numerous packages
> that  statically linked against it due to a potential remote exploit.
> See
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2002-026.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-1963.html

I have a feeling that malformed images that crash some browsers would be
fixed with this, and that the biggest reason for the fix wouldn't be
security, but simply stability. There are a lot of improperly terminated
images on the web which were not created that way on purpose, yet they
would probably crash the browser anyway.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com