[lug] File permissions & groups

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Tue Mar 12 09:53:57 MST 2002

Your system should work as configured. You don't need the <cdrom> line at
all with the <burner> line that you have. I'd be a little concerned about
putting all /dev/sg* devices at the console user's command though. Some of
the generic devices should not be accessible by mere mortals.

One of the drawbacks to the console.perms method is that I have a habit of
logging in as root on VT1 when rebooting to verify that the system is OK. (I
usually don't reboot unless there is a problem of some sort.) If I'm still
logged in as root on VT1 when I log in as a regular user via GDM, root is
the console owner. My fault though... I should just learn to log in as a
regular user and su to root.

-Rob