[lug] scp tools?

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Tue Mar 12 10:31:19 MST 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 10:02 pm, D. Stimits wrote:
> In any case, it requires sftp-server to be in the user path or at least
> on the machine. I *think* sftp-server is probably a separate install
> step, but I don't know for sure. What I am certain of is that sftp works
> between my local network machines, but not to his machine; and using
> locate, there is no sftp-server on his system anywhere. I will see if I
> can talk him into looking into it, but he is on the extreme of busy (he
> owns something similar to an ISP business, he's almost a one-man show,
> entirely Linux). It would definitely be a big hit for me to see gftp
> work to his machine over sftp.

I haven't ever used sftp.  Don't know anything about it.  *But*, you say
above "it requires sftp-server to be in the user path".  You can do that (for
your user account) via scp and ssh, no?

Something like:

localhost$ scp sftp-server remote_user at remotehost:~/bin/.
localhost$ ssh remote_user at remotehost
remotehost$ chmod 600 bin/sftp-server
remotehost$ echo "export PATH=$PATH:~/bin" >> .bashrc

Again, I don't know anything more about the task at hand than what you
presented above.  I also am assuming that you have a [cross]compiler that
will work on your local machine to build the bin for the remote machine, or
that you have compiler access on the remote machine (which would, of course,
change the first step a bit).

I'd like to add, in the "useless advice that doesn't answer the actual
question" department, that I don't use sftp because I find that scp fills my
needs for secure file transfer.  scp is great on its own when I know what I
am actually trying to do, and a local shell and an ssh shell on the remote
machine side by side are so much more useful than FTP's clunky interface when
I am just browsing around or whatever.

What I am really trying to say is that if you try to "just get by" with ssh
and scp for a few days while looking for a "better" solution you may find
that you stop looking for a better solution!  But, of course, YMMV.

Good luck!