[lug] System.map issue

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Mar 12 19:14:55 MST 2002

Behind with my mail as usual.  Just wanted to acknowledge that you (Dan)
were apparently right about the system writing to the map file at boot
time.  The problem turned out to be that it wasn't able to due to the fact
that I had added a command to unmount my boot partition in my system init
scripts to avoid possible corruption in cash of abnormal system halt.

SuSE has a /etc/rc.d/boot.local script supposedly for such user purposes,
but it gets called very early in the boot process.  So I created an
additional script, /etc/rc.d/boot.local.final and symlinked it in the run
level dir such that it will get called as one of the very last scripts.

Thanx.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net