[lug] File modification

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Wed Mar 13 16:04:27 MST 2002

If you've got root on the machine there is no way to prove it.  You
could have used debugfs to edit the file times by hand.  I believe the
journal is circular, and is overwritten very quickly so that probably
won't be any help.

There are three file times: modify time, access time and change time.
 Change time will probably not help you, but it can be useful to
determine if someone tried to set the modification time back using
touch.  Change is set whenever the inode is edited...so any permission
change, mtime change or file change would set it.

Does the professor know the end time of the running program?  You could
demonstrate that the program runs for time X, and that program end - X
was before the deadline.