[lug] File modification

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Wed Mar 13 16:45:24 MST 2002

I'm working "in the industry" now.  I'm not sure if that lesson works.
 It seems to be that when the deadline hits, if its pretty close to
what's wanted and mostly works, out it goes!

I know we've released code that works well for 5 users, but with 100 it
was taking 5 minutes per user.  But it worked and was done on deadline!

I contributed some code back to the linux pppd list (RADIUS and
microsoft mppe encryption for pptp).  It worked, but the list people
took one look at it and said, "Thanks.  I'll just rewrite that, shall I?"
It was a fast hack and not too pretty.  But it worked, which is all we
cared about.

 From my experience, working in "the industry" will be just like trying
to get class assignments done and working the night before they're due.
  :-)

There _always_ seems to be some last minute items that wasn't accounted
for in the schedule.  And it's always hard to schedule the unexpected
problems that seem to appear.

For example: The task is to implement RADIUS authentication for a PPTP
server.  Estimate: Take a wild guess of 9 days.  That goes in the
schedule.  Then, as the research and programming move along, it's
discovered that the Microsoft RFC's don't mention certain things.
 Schedule slip of 1 day.  Or that the Microsoft NT server version if IAS
doesn't support MSCHAPv2 and you've just spent the last 2 days trying to
see where your code is broken.  :-)  More schedule slip.  Then when you
reach the end of the original 9 days there isn't any time left to fix
the code, since it does work and there's always other stuff to work on.

Maybe other developers here have a different experience though.  It
would be interesting to hear.

[snip]